Working out on a regular basis is not only great for the body, it’s awesome for the mind too because exercise acts as a great stress buster! However, a majority of people tend to give exercise a skip citing lack of time while there’s a small percentage out there who feel intimidated and overwhelmed by the thought of profuse sweating, sore muscles, heavy breathing, getting injured, and above all, the fear of failure (with regards to weight loss). But since weight loss is all about 80% diet and 20% exercise, even though you are on a great weight loss diet such as on Rati Beauty, you need to squeeze in a bit of activity as well into the daily routine to accelerate the process. Since we all need to start somewhere, it would be prudent to conquer your fears in order to exercise. So, that’s why we have put together a few tips that could help everyone who is terrified of exercising so that they can get their daily dose of exercise. The thought of exhaustion, lack of time, the fear of injury, muscle soreness can all scare you, but these tips will make you overcome those fears. Regular exercise will not only help you to lose weight but to get healthy and strong as well, so do read these tips and squeeze out some time from your busy schedule for exercise.
1. Don’t Hate Exercise: Consider it as a fun activity, not a chore! Most of us make exercise a “chore” and categorize it as something that “needs to be done and get over with” and not actually something we actually enjoy doing, and that’s where the problem starts. Human brain is conditioned in such a way that it always tries to minimize or totally avoid effort unless there is a reward at the other end. Don’t make exercise a “chore” that you somehow have to finish, make it a hobby that would fetch you long-term benefits – the body and shape that you desire and the clothes that you would fit into. Pick an exercise routine that you would enjoy. If gymming seems too much and cardio too scary, start with brisk walking. Even yoga, jump roping, or cycling outdoors are activities that a majority of us would enjoy doing. Some people say doing a fun zumba session can burn away up to 300 and more calories!
2. Set a Short-Term Goal. When you have an achievable goal, you’re more likely to get started and get to work instead of lazing around your house. If you are aiming to lose weight or improve lab profiles, write down those goals and consider sharing them with your friends and family. Also, start your fitness journey by planning to exercise for just two or three days in a week, and then once you are comfortable, you can make it a “five days a week” affair.
3. Take Baby Steps: Start slowly, maybe with just 10 minutes of workout. Starting slowly will not leave you exhausted or out of breath. Find routines that have short time duration, 10 to 15 minutes are great way to ease into a fitness routine before graduating to more intense routines.
4. Find a Companion to Workout With: Researchers have found out that working with a companion helps increase the amount of exercise you do! Find an exercise partner asap and motivate each other to get active and fit.
5. Chalk a Time that’s Comfortable for you: Some people like to workout in the morning while others can manage to squeeze out time in the evenings. Schedule a time frame where you do not have to rush through the workout session to get most of the routine – avoiding exercise just because you cannot find enough time in the morning time is just an excuse.
6. To Overcome Fear of Injury, Warm up and Stretch Before Exercise: Also, start with low-intensity exercises that would match up to your current fitness level. Also, make sure you are doing exercises in the correct form to avoid injury.
7. If you are Scared of excessive sweating, wear moisture-wicking workout clothes and practice low-intensity workout forms such as yoga.
8. Scared of Being Judged? Do Home Workouts: Gym anxiety is a real thing! If you feel extremely conscious and awkward working out in a gym setting and feel intimidated by others, here’s what you need to do – Rati Beauty app has really awesome workout routines that can be done in the comfort of your home.
9. Try 30 Minutes of Moderate Pace Walking: The first thing one should do when trying to lose weight is to grab a pair of walking shoes and keep aside at least 30 minutes either in the morning or evening for brisk walking. Walking regularly not only helps one physically get healthy, it’s also a great activity to clear thoughts and boost mental health as well. Also, for people who are conscious of hitting the gym, walking is a great alternative because moderate pace walking for 30 minutes can burn up to 100 calories. Read about 10 Walking Tips to Burn More Calories While Talking.
10. Perform NEAT activities: Abbreviated as NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis), it is the energy we use for everything we do in our day-to-day life except for when we are sleeping or exercising. Using the stairs instead of the lift, squatting on the floor to lift something up, walking while talking on the phone, every activity we do while being on our feet, comes under NEAT. All these activities help to burn some amount of calories and these bits of calories spent here and there, add up to a considerable amount when you are trying to lose weight. Here’s a list of NEAT activities that you can try doing at home.
Summing up, compete with yourself and exercise not just to lose weight but to get healthy and fit as well.