Our lips can get dry and pigmented because of many factors – hormonal changes, excessive dryness, and even exposure to sun can cause darkening of lips. However, with a few simple remedies, you can get back the original color of your lips. In this post, we list out home remedies to clear pigmentation of lips.
1. Pour 1 tbsp. honey and 2 tbsp. lime juice into a cup and stir it well. Spread the mixture over the lip everyday for about four days to naturally lighten your upper lip colour. Be sure to leave the mixture on the lip for at least 30 minutes.
2. Mix equal quantities of lime juice, honey, and glycerine and apply it daily on your lips to lighten the skin of your dark lip.
3. Prepare an exfoliating scrub using a mixture of rice powder and yogurt. Use this to exfoliate the upper lip area twice daily.
4. Gently exfoliate your lips and then rub on some almond milk or almond oil on them. Leave it for at least an hour before wiping the excess off with a cotton ball. Apply almond oil every day for several weeks to see positive results.
5. Mix together a tablespoon of oatmeal, a teaspoon each of lime juice, yogurt, honey and one egg white. Whisk the ingredients together and apply the mixture on the entire face. This will help remove the tan and will lighten the skin naturally.
6. Rub a slice of cucumber on your lips for few minutes daily to lighten them naturally.
7. Apply mint juice or coriander leaves’ juice on the lips to make your lip smooth and pink naturally.
8. Keep your body hydrated by drinking lots of water. People who do not drink sufficient water are more prone to get dry lips and dry skin.
9. Eat more of Vitamin A rich food, like, carrots, tomatoes and green leafy vegetables should be included in the diet.
10. Quitting smoking and reduce the intake of coffee and tea to get an even skin tone on lips.
11. DIY Beetroot Exfoliating Lip Mask for Pink Lips: This exfoliating mask is made from beetroot and with regular use, it reduces pigmentation of the lips. Beetroots are so rich in color that they will instantly turn your lips pink, but they also have natural bleaching properties that will turn your black lips pink again. The Fault in Our Stars actress, Shailene Woodley swears by beetroots for her perfectly pink lips. Full recipe on how to make this lip mask/scrub here.
12. Milk and Turmeric scrub: Mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder with one teaspoon of cold milk. Apply it onto your lips and scrub it off once it is dry. Your lips will be healed, hydrated and incredibly soft.
If nothing works, consult a dermatologist for medical treatment and guidance, in case none of the above remedies work.